Friday, April 5, 2019

Bingo Night

April 2, 2019 - the prompt for this piece was to write either a best or worst case scenario.

Bingo Night

Tonight is bingo night here ‘cause
everyone’s trying to raise money for something
and me, I’m just trying to win some cold, hard cash.
So turn on the radio, pour me a beer—
God knows I can use the dough.  If I’m lucky
maybe not too many people are tuning in tonight
‘cause I could sure use some cold, hard cash.

Tonight’s jackpot is $25,000 in cold, hard cash
and God knows I can use that dough, so if
I pray hard enough, maybe I’ll get lucky this time.
Buy me a new skidoo with that kind of money.
Take it out on the river and do some ice fishing,
down there near the bridge, where little Dante
went through the ice and never came back.

We were playing bingo that night, too, ‘cause
someone’s always trying to raise money for something
and there’s never enough cold, hard cash around.
God knows the school needs work, so there’s always
fundraising going on down there, but that don’t matter
too much to me since Dante’s not in school now.  God
knows I can use that dough, so maybe I’ll be lucky.

I’ll buy me a new skidoo with that cold, hard cash.
Take it out on the river and do some ice fishing
down there near the bridge, and maybe I’ll hear
little Dante calling for me.  I’ll just slip in and get him,
if I do.  And if I don’t win that jackpot tonight, I’ll
listen in tomorrow, ‘cause tomorrow is bingo night, too.
Everyone’s trying to raise money for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 April PAD Challenge: Day 2

From Robert Lee Brewer's blog, Poetic Asides, "For today’s prompt, write a space poem." Acreage Endless skies spill over the...